The Scorpio Races
by Maggie Stiefvater
My Rating: 5/5 Stars
It's difficult to describe this book without giving so much away about the plot, so I'll just offer my thoughts on the book without a summary. You can find a information about the book and a summary of this book at the author's website here.
I listened to this book on audio CD.
What I liked:
- The wildness and danger of the Capall Uisce water horses,
- The unique world of the island, which Puck and Sean are unable to turn their backs on,
- Compelling characters with compelling motives,
- Beautifully written descriptions that described, but didn't go on and on with irrelevant information,
- The relationship between Puck and her younger brother Finn,
- The voice of Steve West as Sean, such depth I almost fell into it
- The alternating perspectives which offered extra dimensions to the story,
- The romance that eventually developed between Puck and Sean was interesting, unusual, and based on mutual respect rather than superficial lust,
- Corr is one cool horse and I absolutely fell in love with Dove, a horse with a heart of gold and a love for Puck.
What I didn't like:
- The voice of Fiona Hardingham as Puck was a bit shrill at times and pulled me out of the story,
- The nasty men of the island who didn't want a girl to race,
- That smackable Mutt Melvern. (Note: These last two are an example of great characterization, not a flaw in the plot!)
I highly recommend this book!