- Bridget Whelen: 10 Rules for Writing a Synopsis
Wednesday, March 5, 2014
Monday, March 3, 2014
Fascinating reading about writing from writers' blogs:
- Reading and Writing are Fattening: 6 Ways to Entice Readers (How much of an e-book is read before it is tossed aside?) by Marla M. Madison
- Jane Friedman: 10 Apps to Help You Stay Focused on Your Writing by Frances Caballo @CaballoFrances @JaneFriedman
- Woven With Pixie Dust: Picture Book University: Character Driven Picture Books by Pam Calvert @PammCalvert
- Writers Digest/Guide to Literary Agents: Word Count for Novels and Children's Books: The Definitive Post by Chuck Sambuchino @ChuckSambuchino @Writersdigest
Friday, February 28, 2014
Words of wisdom about writing.
- Mary Carroll Moore/How to Plan, Write, & Develop a Book: Winter Doldrums? Ten Fun Exercises to Get Going on Your Writing Again @writeabook
- Everyone's Story: Jim Denney: Replacing Fear With Courage In Writing @WriterJimDenney @ElaineStock
- Creative Writing with the Crimson League: 5 Strange Truths Authors Know About Productivity by Victoria Grefer @vgrefer
Wednesday, February 26, 2014
Take some time to writing something special today. Here are some articles that might help you!
- The Creative Penn: Writing Tips: Using Real Life Fear and Pain to Springboard Your Story by Eric Praschan @EricPraschan @thecreativepenn
Friday, February 21, 2014
Do you like to read what people have to say about writing? I do! Just don't forget to write.
Wednesday, February 19, 2014
Some reading on writing to get you motivated!
- MIT Course Materials: Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) makes the materials used in the teaching of their subjects available on the web. You can find a list of the courses here. Lots of choices for Literature and Writing
- Write To Done: How To Make The Right Choices For Your Novel by K. M. Weiland @KMWeiland @WritetoDone
- The Atlantic: Why Writers Are the Worst Procrastinators by Megan McCardle @asymmetricinfo
- Hiveword: Free Online Novel Writing Organizer "Organize and plan your novel in one place from anywhere! @Hiveword
- Open Ticket: Boys Will Be Boys, and Girls Will Be Accommodating by Laurel Snyder
- BookRiot: Books for Boys and Books for Girls: Problems with Gendered Reading by Kelly Jensen @catagator @BookRiot
Monday, February 17, 2014
If you love to write, you'll want to read these articles about writing.
- Unleaded - Fuel For Writers: John Cleese on "5 Factors To Make Your Life More Creative" [Video] by Day Al-Mohamed @DayAlMohamed
- Writer Unboxed: Is Your Book Good Enough for Publication? A Cold-Blooded Assessment by Jennie Nash, @jennienash @WriterUnboxed
Friday, February 14, 2014
Writing, writing, writing, reading, reading, reading! Here's some interesting reading about writing.
- Blogging Funk: Tips for Writing Picture Books: The Illustrator Is Your Partner by Josh Funk, @papajfunk
- As The Plot Thickens: Juggling Act by Jennifer B. White, @JenniferBWhite (One author's look at juggling projects.)
- Writers Helping Writers - K. M. Weiland: Why Gut Feelings Are a Writer's Secret Weapon by Harrison Demchick, @HDemchick, @KMWeiland
- From The Write Angle: Decisions, Decisions: Choosing the Conference That's Right For You by MarcyKate Connolly, @MarcyKate
Wednesday, February 12, 2014
Some articles about writing for your reading pleasure.
- The Guardian: Philip Pullman Calls Time on The Present Tense
- Mary Carroll Moore - How to Plan, Write, and Develop a Book: Writing a Premise Statement for Your Book: Inner and Outer Story Synopsis and Why It Helps Get You Published, @writeabook
Monday, February 10, 2014
Read some great info about writing!
- Aliventures: Take the Plunge: How To (Finally) Start Your Novel by Ali Luke, @aliventures
- Copyblogger: Have You Ever Thought About Starting Your Own Podcast? by Demian Farnsworth, @DemianFarnsworth
- Anne R. Allen's Blog: Six More Pieces of Bad Advice for Writers to Ignore, @annerallen
Friday, February 7, 2014
We've got snow at my house! Excellent day to write and read about writing.
- Moody Writing: Three Goals for Every Character
- Lynnette Labelle: 8 Common Mistakes Writers Make at Conferences
- Write Practice: How to Finish Your Writing Projects (Even When You Don't Feel Like It) by Joe Bunting
- C. Hope Clark: How The Shy Writer Copes When She Hits a Wall (Podcast #11)
- Write To Done: How to Revise Your Novel at a Glance by Darci Pattison (Darci's Shrunken Manuscript is a great way to see problems with your manuscript!)
- The Kill Zone: Five Key Ingredients to Nurture a Story by Jordan Dane
Thursday, February 6, 2014
Here's some reading to inspire your writing!
- *Thup: Memorable Characters by Erin Brown Conroy (Ideas to make your characters shine.)
- Men With Pens: The Real Reason Why You Can't Write by Esther Litchfield-Fink
- Get Me Writing: How to Achieve Effective Social Media Promotion for your Ebook by Matt Roberts
- Novel Matters: What Do Productive Writers Do To Meet Deadlines? by Latayne C. Scott
- Writer's Digest/Brian Klem's Blog: How To Create An Antihero That Readers Love by Jessica Page Morrell
- Marcy Kennedy: How is First POV Different?
Tuesday, February 4, 2014
Spend some time improving your writing craft!
- The Write Conversation: Keep Writing -- Sometimes You Have to Go Through the Junk to Get to the Gems by Edie Melson
- Emu's Debuts: Making Time by Megan Morrison
- Daily Writing Tips: Showing Dialect in Dialogue by Maeve Maddox
- Writers Helping Writers: Softening a Hard Character to Make Them Likable by Angela Ackerman
- Narrative Breakdown: Middle Grade Fiction with Author Jill Santopolo
- Huff Post College: Ink on Paper: Some Notes on Note-taking by Wray Herbert
Friday, January 31, 2014
Here we go -- more blog posts writers will love!
- The Other Side of The Story: 6 Tips on Making Similar Scenes Feel Different by Janice Hardy
- Writer's Digest - Chuck Sambuchino's Guide to Literary Agents Blog: Conferencing for Introverts by Angela Ackerman
- Molly Greene: 101 Fabulous Plot Resources for Novelists
- Justine Larbalestier: Writing Under Different Names
- Stavros Halvatzis: Scene Checklist
- My Book Therapy: Backstory, Flashback, Memory Moment: The Difference by Rachel Hauck
Thursday, January 30, 2014
What are you going to write next?
- Creative Writing With The Crimson League: First Person Narration: Is It Like Dialogue? by Victoria Grefer
- Writers Helping Writers: Good Heavens--Another Post About Opening Lines? by Becca Puglisi
- The Write Now! Coach: Your Query Letter: How to Write An Irresistible Offer by Rochelle Melander
- Daily Infographic: The Oxford Comma article by Aisling Niestroy, Infographic created for OnlineSchools.com
- Writer's Digest - Chuck Sambuchino's Guide to Literary Agents Blog: 7 Tips for Pitching to an Agent or Editor at a Conference by Peggy Eddelman
- Publishers Weekly: DiCamillo, Floca, Sedgwick Win Newbery, Caldecott, Printz (Awards) by Diane Roback
Wednesday, January 29, 2014
If you want to write, here is some great reading to assist you.
- The Writer's [Inner] Journey: A Workshop for Writers Who Hate Writing Groups (and Why This Writing Group Works) by Meredith Resnick
- Kill Zone: A Short Course on Dialogue Attributions by James Scott Bell
- The Write Life: How One Famous Author (Elizabeth Gilbert) Tricks Herself Into Writing Wonderful Stories by Amanda Palleschi
- Writer Unboxed: The Lessons I Should Have Learned From Stephen King's On Writing... by Jeannie Ruesch
- Time to Write: More Book Trailers Should Be Like This by Jurgen Wolff'
- Anne R. Allen's Blog: Writer's Toolbox #5: Must-Have Research Tools Beyond Google & Wickipedia by Ruth Harris
Tuesday, January 28, 2014
Some great tips about writing in these blog posts!
- Pretentious Title: Managing Your Inner Editor by Rachel Aaron
- Brain Pickings: Debunking the Myth of the 10,000-Hours Rule: What It Actually Takes to Reach Genius-Level Excellence by Maria Popova
- Sharing With Writers & Readers: Blog Tour Tips: Reminder or New Ideas for a More Successful Tour by Carol Howard-Johnson
- Books & Such Literary Management: Alert: New Home Office Tax Law by Rachel Kent
- Write To Done: How To Create an Inspiration Workspace for Writing by Laura Carlin & Alison Forbes
- The Washington Post: The Health Hazards of Sitting by Bonnie Berkowitz & Patterson Clark
Monday, January 27, 2014
Happy writing to all you authors out there!
- Daily Writing Tips: Do You Mean Passive or Just Weak? by Maeve Maddox
- Pen & Prosper: What We Can Learn From The "Little Engine That Could!" Tips to Move Forward ... by Jennifer Brown Banks
- The Seekers: On Deadline: How To Make Your Writing Deadlines Work for YOU by Sarah Ladd
- Positive Writer: Use Discipline to Cultivate the Creative Flow by Stacy Claflin
- My Book Therapy: Ten Things I Learned On My Writers Retreat by Rachel Hauck
- Pub(lishing) Crawl: Making The Most of Social Networks As a Writer by Erin Bowman
Friday, January 24, 2014
How is that writing going?
- The Other Side of the Story: Real Life Diagnostics: Would You Read on? A Look at a Science Fiction Opening by Janice Hardy
- Blogging Funk: Tips For Writing Picture Books: Picture Book Length by Joe Funk
- Writer's Digest: 7 Ways to Create a Killer Opening Line for Your Novel by Jacob M. Appel
- Author Jody Hedlund: 5 Top Ways To Rivet a Reader
- Winning Edits: Author MBA Podcasts (Conversations about the business of books)
- Moody Writing: The Long and Short of Writing The Middle
Thursday, January 23, 2014
More great writing advice!
- Stavros Halvatzis: How Conflict Leads To Character Growth
- Pretentious Title: FAQ: To Blog Or Not To Blog
- The Business of Being an Author: Simple Tactics To Grow Your Author Platform by Marquita Herald
- Susan Uhlig: 175 Proof (Are you watering down your stories and articles by not proofing carefully?)
- All Write - Fiction Advice: The Art of Layering - Part 1 by A. J. Humpage
- The Creativity Post: Daring To Push The Boundaries of Creativity by Carla Woolf
Wednesday, January 22, 2014
What will you write today?
- My Book Therapy: Getting Past Stuck by Reba J. Hoffman
- The Daring Novelist: Story Game: Plot Structure & Finding The Wow by Camille LaGuire
- Novel Matters: Hunting Adjectives With Elephant Guns by Patti Hill
- Scribbles from Jenn: Top Ten Tips How to Survive a Relationship With a Writer
- Positive Writer: Why You're Not Finishing The Writing You Started by Shanan Haislip
- Moody Writing: What a Story Needs to Begin
Tuesday, January 21, 2014
If you're a writer, you're going to love these blog posts!
- Thup: Keeping Track by Erin Brown Conway (Have you ever lost track of a character?)
- Just Write a Book Blog: Writing Short Stories For Fun & Profit: How Fast Can You Write? by Angela Booth
- The Season Blog: The Self-Publishing Survey Results - It's a Brave New World by Beverley Kendall
- Writer's First Aid: The Vicious Procrastination Cycle by Kristi Holl
- Molly Greene, Writer: Query Letters: What Agents Love and Loathe
- The Creative Penn: Stories That Kill - 7 Tips For Writing Crime by Luke Preston
Friday, January 17, 2014
Write because you love it!
- Writer's Digest/Brian Klems: A 12-Day Plan of Simple Writing Exercises
- Artzicarol Ramblings: Ordering Your Words by Carol Riggs
- Seize The Day: Novel Craft: 5 Common Scene Problems by Molly Blaisdell
- The Write Practice: Make The Most of Your Writing Time
- A. Victoria Mixon, Editor: 3 Reasons Description Is Important; 3 Reasons It's Not
- Live, Write, Thrive: Novel Construction Begins With Concept by C. S. Lakin
Thursday, January 16, 2014
Here's to reading about good writing!
- GalleyCat: George R. R. Martin's Writing Tips by Dianna Dilworth
- TED: How to Build a Fictional World by Kate Messner
- Writing.ie: Ten Truths About Being a Writer by Hazel Gaynor
- Brain Pickings: John Green's Superb Advice to Aspiring Writers & Creators in the Digital Age by Maria Popova
- Write To Done: How to Start a Novel by Mary Jaksch
- The Write Now! Coach: A Quick Way to Create a Business Plan (For Writers) by Rochelle Melander
Wednesday, January 15, 2014
Did you write today?
- W.I.P. It: How Writers Can Balance Time Spent Online by Lynda R. Young
- Aliventures: How to Create a Writing, Publishing, & Marketing Plan For The Year [Includes Template]
- Omnivoracious: Beyond Orcs & Elves: Stacy Whitman on Writing Cross-Culturally by Susan J. Morris
- All Write - Fiction Advice: Common Writing "Myths" by A.J. Humpage
- Just Write a Book: Book Editing: How To Turn a Mess Into a Book by Angela Booth
- Project Eve: 10 Tips To How To Stop Procrastinating by Danielle Boulton
Tuesday, January 14, 2014
For your reading pleasure...
- Writer's Digest - Brian Klem's Blog: Important Writing Lessons From First-Time Novelists
- DBW - Digital Book World: 6 Degrees of Agent Evolution by Jason Allen Ashlock
- Huffington Post Books: Writing Tips: How To Breathe New Life Into Your Short Stories
- Writers Helping Writers: How to Cure a Cardboard Villain by Angela Ackerman
- Writer Unboxed: The Power of Renewal a.k.a. Character Arc by Heather Webb
- The Blue Rose Girls: Keeping Your Mouth Shut by Grace Lin
Monday, January 13, 2014
Writing today? Why not read some inspiration first?
- Charlotte Rains Dixon: The Creative Trance
- How To Plan, Write, & Develop a Book: Patterns of Change -- How Do You Create Strong Conflict in Your Fiction or Memoir? by Mary Carroll Moore
- Writer's Digest: 7 Ways To Create a Killer Opening Line for Your Novel by Jacob M. Appel
- Marcy Kennedy: What To do When Your Loved Ones Want You To Quit Your Dream
- Positive Writer: How To Motivate Yourself Right Now! by Bryan Hutchinson
- Wordserve Water Cooler: Ten (Plus) Tips on Humor Writing by Dena Dyer
Friday, January 10, 2014
Enjoy the adventure of writing!
- Sandy Appleyard: How Do You Create Memorable Secondary Characters?
- Cassandra Page: The Dream Journal - One Writer's Inspiration
- Writers in the Storm: 5 Steps for Surviving a Revise & Resubmit by Orly Konig-Lopez
- Write Hook: 4 Impossibly Simple Ideas for Better Writing by Scott Morgan
Thursday, January 9, 2014
- Anne R. Allen's Blog: Is Writing a Hobby or a Profession for You? Why Either Path Can Be a Good Choice
- Fiction Notes: If You Only Do One Revision, Do This by Darci Pattison
- The Write Now Coach: Set your Writing Goals for 2014 by Rochelle Melander (That's right - it's not too late!)
- Jane Friedman: What Do You Want From Your Writing in 2014 -- And Beyond? by Dan Holloway
- QueryTracker: 11 Tips for Making a Book Trailer by Stina Lindenblatt
- Pretentious Title: FAQ: To Blog or Not to Blog by Rachel Aaron
Wednesday, January 8, 2014
How are you doing on those resolutions? Stop worrying about it and read!
- G5: The ONE Thing All Successful People Do by Stephanie Carter
- The Creative Penn: Writing Fiction: Creating Friction With Clashing Personalities by Angela Ackerman
- QueryTracker: Five Query Mistakes That Make You Look Like An Amateur by Ash Krafton
- The Write Practice: 3 Writing Tips You Can Steal From Animators by Joe Bunting
- Romance University: Taking Control of Your Writing Career with a Business Plan with Amy Denim
- The Seekers: Creating Characters One Layer at a Time - Layer Three - Is it American Idol? Nope, it's The Voice by Mary Connealy