Thursday, June 16, 2016
Sunday, June 12, 2016
If you write, check put these articles for motivation.
Tuesday, November 11, 2014
Articles to help your writing soar!
- Bustle: Here's the Scientific Reason Why You Get Lost in a Book by Caitlin White @caitforestell
- QueryTracker: How to Survive Writing Through the Holiday Season by Stina Lindenblatt @StinaLL @QueryTracker
- Write to Done: 7 Ways to Keep Writing When You Feel Like Giving Up by Alison Breen @Alisontbreen @WritetoDone
Monday, August 25, 2014
Writing advice to get you motivated!
- Babbles from Scott Eagan: Adding Depth to Your Stories @greyhausagency
- Great advice on how to add depth by getting into your character's head.
- Julie Musil: What To Do Before You're Published by C. Lee McKenzie @cleemckenzie
- Steps you can talk to become known before your first book comes out.
- Michelle4Laughs: Query Questions with Jessica Watterson @JessWatterson @Michelle4Laughs (Michelle Hauck)
- In the process of writing your query? Jessica Watterson offers advice on what to include and what to leave out!
- Write Into Print: Self Editing 4 Fiction #7 Interior Monologue posted by Stef Mcdaid @WriteIntoPrint
- What is your character thinking? We really want to know!
- Janice Hardy's Fiction University: Sharing the Spotlight: How Much Page Time Do Your Supporting Characters Need by Janice Hardy @Janice_Hardy
- How much is too much when writing your supporting characters? Do they take over the story or are they barely there?
Saturday, August 16, 2014
I always take time to read a little something about writing before doing the actual writing to get the brain cells activated.
- Live Write Thrive: 5 Writer Goals to Help You Avoid Overwhelm by C. S. Lakin @LiveWriteThrive
- It's so easy to become overwhelmed when trying to do everything that is required to become an author. Perhaps it's more important to discover what you need to do rather than try to do it all.
- BookLife: Everyone Needs an Editor by Allison Schiff @booklife
- I've read so many books recently that could have benefited from the assistance of a good editor. Don't think you need one? That's why you need to read this article!
- The Review Review: How to Make the First Cut in a Writing Contest by Sara Backer
- I've judged a few writing contests. The advice in this article is sound. The contests I judged waited until the contest was closed before distributing the submissions, so suggestion number one didn't apply, but I would always assume the opposite when submitting to be safe.
- Write to Done: Lost Your Motivation to Write? The One Thing that Helps by Len Markidan @LenMarkidan @WritetoDone
- Wonderful suggestion about breaking your to do list into hard and easy tasks and checking your motivation peaks and valleys to decide which task to do. Going to try this!
- Writers Helping Writers: Pulse on Pacing: How Smooth Transitions Keep Your Story Moving by Angela Ackerman @AngelaAckerman
- Pacing is so important for readers. You can have great characters, an interesting plot, and an exotic setting, but if the pacing is slow or choppy, you can lose your reader.
Thursday, July 31, 2014
After reading these articles about writing, you can't help but sit down and write!
- Writer's Digest/Guide to Literary Agents Blog: 11 Steps to Finding The Agent Who'll Love Your Book, Guest Column by Lori Rader-Day @LoriRaderDay; Blog by Chuck Sambuchino @ChuckSambuchino
- Are you looking for an agent? Great ideas here.
- Publishers Weekly: Spring 2015 Children's Sneak Previews compiled by Shannon Maughan @PublishlersWkly
- Start your list of books to read next spring! Always fun to see what's ahead.
- Highlights Foundation: Why You Should Be Outlining by Alan Gratz @AlanGratz
- Author Alan Gratz offers some interesting ways to include your research in your outline so you can sit down and concentrate on writing your book.
- Copyblogger: The Prepared Writer's Process for Creating Excellent Content Every Day by Katie a.k.a The Wellness Mama @wellnessmama
- Ways to assist you in sitting down every day to writer - adaptable to any type of writing.
- K.M. Weiland/Helping Writers Become Authors: 10 Best Tools to Make Writing More Successful, Organized, and Effective by Sandra Miller @KMWeiland
- Some great apps mentioned in this article that I hadn't head about yet.
Thursday, July 24, 2014
Information on writing I've found helpful!
- TED Talks: Success, Failure and the Drive to Keep Creating by Elizabeth Gilbert @GilbertLiz
- Yes, even Elizabeth Gilbert received rejection slips. In this video she shares how she could carry on despite the success of Eat, Pray, Love.
- The BookBaby Blog: Writing by Hand, or Typing: When Are You The Most Creative? by Chris Robley @ChrisRobley
- Interesting question. I've found that my writing is different when I write by hand versus writing on the computer. I don't know that's it more creative, but I've found it helpful to switch off, especially when I'm stuck or confused about my writing.
- Write for Kids: Top Editor Emma Dryden on Working with Editors and Acting Professionally @drydenbks @write4kids
- I heard Emma Dryden speak at an SCBWI Oregon Retreat. This video has great information about working with an independent editor.
- Beyond Paper Editing: 25 Word Lists for Writers by Corina Koch MacLeod @CKmacleodwriter
- Writers love lists! In this blog post, we find links to lists of Needless Words, Craft Words, Genre Words, Words from Other Languages, Misused & Mispelled Words.
- Aine Greaney, Writer: 6 Lame Writer Excuses (and 6 Reality Checks) @AineGreaney
- After reading this, you won't have an excuse not to write today!
Monday, July 14, 2014
Information to help you find a new way to look at your writing!
- Jami Gold, Paranormal Author: How to Use Layers to Show Intense Emotions @JamiGold
- Emotions connect readers to characters. This is an area I'm always struggling with - to show what the character is feeling, not just what they're doing.
- Toby Neal: 6 Beautiful Ways to Recharge This Summer @tobywneal
- I'm definitely going to put some of these into action this summer. I love the idea of sitting on the patio with my cup of coffee in the morning planning my day. And stretching - oh, yes, the stretching really helps recharge!
- Willamette Writers Blog: Graph Your Novel (Seriously!) by Amber Keyser @Amberjkeyser
- I personally know Amber and have found her creatively logical mind to be a inspirational fountain of ideas. Anything she recommends, I'm going to try! I loved graphing equations in school. Why not attempt to graph my novel?
- Scientific American Blogs: The Controlled Chaos of Creativity by Scott Barry Kaufman @sbkaufman
- Interesting research into creativity. Hmmm, not sure whether I believe that poetry is more creative than prose.
- Wise Ink: The Top 5 Free Apps that Help You Write Your Novel @Wiseink
- I've found Hemingway an especially helpful app for analyzing your writing and I've heard great things about Evernote. Looking forward to trying the others on this list.
Monday, July 7, 2014
Writing is art, writing is also craft. Here's a little help:
- Jane Friedman: How to Create Your First Booktrack (and Get 2,000 New Readers) Guestpost by Laurence MacNaughton @LMacNaughton @JaneFriedman
- Plot Whisperer: Emotional Elements of Plot: Stories that Last Evoke Emotion by Martha Alderson @plotwhisperer
- Julie Musil: Stuck in Your Story? Try Roadmapping Guestpost by Laurisa White Reyes @lwreyes @juliemusil
Sunday, June 29, 2014
Love to write? Here are some great articles about writing!
- Writers Helping Writers: Story Midpoint & Mirror Moment: Using a Hero's Emotions to Transform Them by Angela Ackerman @AngelaAckerman
- Mythic Scribes: Names in Fantasy - 3 Ways to Invent Names for Characters and Creatures by Grace Robinson @StorytellerGRL @Mythicscribes
- Bestseller Labs: 10 Key Questions That Can Determine Your Success As a Writer by Jonathan Gunson @JonathanGunson
Wednesday, June 4, 2014
Click a link to expand your writing horizons.
- Writer's Village: Could this "Magic" Trick Rescue Your Story? (Write a Frame Story) by John Yeoman @Yeomanis
- A Brain Scientist's Take on Writing: Switching Points of View Without Losing Your Reader by Livia Blackburne @lkblackburne
- Creative Writing with the Crimson League: Two Ways to Introduce Flashbacks: That Emphasize Very Different Things by Victoria Grefer @vgrefer
Tuesday, May 27, 2014
Reading, writing, reading about writing, writing about reading, reading good writing, repeat!
- Social Media Today: SMTookbox: Tips and Tools for Mastering Google Plus from Martin Shervington @MartinSherv Posted by Steve Rayson @SteveRayson
- Mary Carroll Moore: How to Keep Your Writing in Your Over-the-Top Busy Life: Helpful Techniques from the Experts @writeabook
- Beyond Paper Editing: Why Editors Use Word--Authors Can Harness Word's Powers, Too! by Corina Koch MacLeod @CKmacleodwriter
- Social Media Just for Writers: 8 Tips for Writers Using Pinterest by Frances Caballo @CaballoFrances
- The Narrative Breakdown: Character Goals and Philosophies [Podcast] with Matt Bird, Cheryl Klein, and James Monohan @chavelaque
- iO9: The Universal Shapes of Stories According to Kurt Vonnegut by Robert T. Gonzalez @rtg0nzalez @iO9
Tuesday, May 20, 2014
Do a little reading about writing to get you in the mood!
- The Write Now! Coach: 5 Ways to Use a Journal to Boost Writing Productivity by Rochelle Melander @WriteNowCoach
- The Purple Crayon/Harold Underdown: Who's Moving Where? News & Staff Changes at Children's Book Publishers @HUnderdown This frequently updated page on The Purple Crayon website keeps you in the loop on changes at publishing houses!
- Unleaded - Fuel for Writers: No Outlining Involved: 5 Pre-Story Time Saving Tips for Pantsers by Linda Maye Adams @lindaadamsva
- The Review Review: 21 Things I Wish I'd Known Before I Started Writing: Must-Read Advice for Writers at All Levels by Robin Black @Robin_Black
- Writers Helping Writers: Get the Scoop on Fair Image Usage by Doug Langille @douglangille @beccapuglisi
Wednesday, May 7, 2014
A little writing inspiration for your muse.
- Julie Musil: Writing Retreats: The Benefits, and How You Can Plan One Without Going Broke by Dean K. Miller @DeanKMiller @juliemusil
- Open Road Media: The 12 Best Writing Fellowships & Retreats in the US @OpenRoadMedia
- Cynsations: Guest Post: Author-Editor Deborah Halverson on Setting, Wherefore Art Thou? @Dear_Editor @CynLeitichSmith
- QueryTracker: Books We Can't Live Without: The Writer Version by Stina Lindenblatt @StinaLL Great suggestions if you're looking for books on craft!
- Writer's Digest/Brian Klems' Blog: The 5 C's of Writing a Great Thriller Novel by James Scott Bell @WritersDigest @BrianKlems @jamesscottbell
Saturday, May 3, 2014
Here are some great posts about writing!
- The Creative Penn: Productivity for Authors, Fighting Overwhelm and How I Am Refocusing My Workload by Joanna Penn @thecreativepenn
Wednesday, April 30, 2014
Love to write? These links to articles about writing are for you!
- Wordcraft: The Key to Suspense by Avi
- Anne R. Allen's Blog: How to Write Blog Content: 9 Tips to Entice Readers to Your Author Blog @annerallen
- Creative Writing Video Tutorials for the Multimedia Age: If You Have a Great Character but No Plot by Cy Porter
Friday, April 18, 2014
Read and watch a little about the craft of writing. Here are some links to start with:
- The Seekers: Five Things I Learned About Writing from Jack Reacher by Tina Radcliffe @TMRadcliffe
- Seven Impossible Things Before Breakfast: Peanut Butter and Jellyfish: Jarrett J. Krosoczka Discusses His Picture-Book Process [Video] @StudioJJK
- The Write Practice: How to Improve Your Metaphors And Similes by Monica M. Clark @monicamclark @write_practice
- Fiction University: Oh, That's Subtle: The Little Things Holding a Story Back by Janice Hardy @Janice_Hardy
- Bane of your Resistance: Action Map Your Way Out of Writers Resistance by Rosanne Bane @RosanneBane
Tuesday, April 15, 2014
Here's some writing wisdom to motivate you today.
- Patricia C. Wrede: Writing Scenes
- Books & Such Literary Management: The Author-Agent Partnership: Finding the Right Fit by Mary Keeley @marygkeeley
- Write to Done: 2 Amazing Ways To Revise your Novel (And When To Use Them) by Darcy Pattison @FictionNotes, blog: @WritetoDone
- The Blabbermouth Blog: Five Things You Can Do To Improve Your Query Letter by Tara Slagle @TaraSlagle, blog: @LindaEpstein
- Jane Friedman-Writing, Reading, & Publishing in the Digital Age: The Complete Guide to Query Letters That Get Manuscript Requests @JaneFriedman
Friday, April 4, 2014
Gather inspiration from these articles about writing.
- JeriWB Author & Editor/Make Every Word Count: 10 Tips for Writing Poetic Prose by Jeri Walker-Bickett @JeriWB
- The Webwriter Spotlight: 9 Things Exceptional Writers Habitually Do So Well by David K. William @DavidKWilliam @Writerspotlight
- Gail Carson Levine: Character Flip Flop
Wednesday, April 2, 2014
Looking for a bit of writing inspiration?
- Creative Writing Video Tutorials for the Multimedia Age: Master Point of View by Cy Porter
- Nillu Nasser Stelter, Fiction & Freelance Writer: Owning Your Choices in Story-Telling and in Life @nzstelter
- Coffitivity: If you find you are more creative in a coffee shop, Coffitivity will give you the coffee shop sounds without the high price of the coffee. "A gentle murmur to get the day started." @Coffitivity
- The Book Designer: 5 Things You Should Know About Working With Beta Readers by Corina Koch MacLeod @CKmacleodwriter and Carla Douglas @CarlaJDouglas @byondpapr; blog by @JFbookman
- Project Eve: Combating Writer's Block: Get Your Content Flowing Again by Bola Olonisakin @ProjectEve
Monday, March 31, 2014
Here are some of my favorite blog posts about writing this week.
- The Creative Penn: The Intentional Writer: Finding the Time, Space, and Inspiration You Need to Write by Erin Bartels @ErinBartels @TheCreativePenn
- Creative Writing With The Crimson League: On Continuity in Creative Writing by Victoria Grefer @vgrefer
Friday, March 28, 2014
Want to read a little about writing? Here are some great places to start!
- Kidlit.Com: Building Emotional Anticipation by Mary Kole @Kid_Lit (Note: I'm currently reading Mary Kole's book Writing Irresistible Kidlit: The Ultimate Guide to Crafting Fiction for Young Adult and Middle Grade Readers. I'm discovering loads of great information and examples.)
- Bad Language: Cheat Sheet: We're Giving Away Our Proofreading Checklist by Clare Dodd @claredodd
Wednesday, March 26, 2014
Here are some writing gems to polish your prose.
- Brain Pickings: Neil Gaiman on Why Scary Stories Appeal to Us, the Art of Fear in Children's Books, and the Most Terrifying Ghosts Haunting Society by Maria Popova @brainpickings @brainpicker @NeilHimself
- Write to Done: How to Write a Poem (and Why This Will Help You Become a Better Writer) by Mary Jaksch @WritetoDone @Mary_Jaksch
- Writers Helping Writers: Getting Quiet and Letting Go of Expectations by Alyssa Archer @beccapuglisi @TheWriterShip
- Publishers Weekly: My Self-Publishing Journey: On Becoming an Indie Author by Paige Crutcher @PublishersWkly @PCrutcher
- Anne R. Allen's Blog: Building Platform: What Most Writers are Getting Wrong @annerallen @RuthHarrisBooks
Friday, March 21, 2014
A few blog posts on writing to get you motivated.
- Gail Carson Levine: Vexing Complexity
Monday, March 17, 2014
Here's a little writing inspiration for your reading pleasure.
Tips for utilizing your writing time wisely!
- Creative Writing With The Crimson League: The Pros and Cons of Writing on Paper First by Victoria Grefer @vgrefer
- Writer.ly: The Importance of Hiring a Professional Editor by Archana Murthy @archiemurthy @WriterlyTweets
Thursday, March 13, 2014
A few gems on writing to inspire you!
- Creative Writing Video Tutorials for the Multimedia Age: In Depth "Show Not Tell for Creative Writing by Cy Porter @drawnovel
- Author, Jody Hedlund 6 Key Things to Consider When Developing Characters @JodyHedlund
- Clear Writing With Mr. Clarity: Meaningless Nouns Make You Sound Phony by Joe Roy
Monday, March 10, 2014
Here's a little info to get your started writing this morning:
- Creativity's Workshop: Creative Action: Freewrite About Your Writing Fears by Jessica Baverstock @JessBaverstock
- Writer's Digest/Brian Klem's Blog: 8 Reasons Every Book Needs a Business Plan to Achieve Success by Nina Amir @NinaAmir
- LitReactor: The Top 10 Reasons I May Have Rejected Your Short Story by Susan DeFreitas @manzanitafire
Wednesday, March 5, 2014
How about a little writing inspiration?
- Bridget Whelen: 10 Rules for Writing a Synopsis
Monday, March 3, 2014
Fascinating reading about writing from writers' blogs:
- Reading and Writing are Fattening: 6 Ways to Entice Readers (How much of an e-book is read before it is tossed aside?) by Marla M. Madison
- Jane Friedman: 10 Apps to Help You Stay Focused on Your Writing by Frances Caballo @CaballoFrances @JaneFriedman
- Woven With Pixie Dust: Picture Book University: Character Driven Picture Books by Pam Calvert @PammCalvert
- Writers Digest/Guide to Literary Agents: Word Count for Novels and Children's Books: The Definitive Post by Chuck Sambuchino @ChuckSambuchino @Writersdigest