Sunday, December 8, 2013

A Plan for Setting Writing Goals for 2014

It's that time of year again. Time to think about my writing goals for 2014. Setting goals is not the same as making resolutions. We can resolve to meet our goals, and that's a good thing, but setting and reaching short-term goals and long-term goals should be an ongoing part of our lives. I'm guessing my goals will look similar to the ones I wrote last year, the ones I didn't quite achieve. I will resolve to renew them and work harder to reach them this coming year.

I set goals each year but don't always accomplish what I plan to achieve. Somehow, life always manages to get in the way. But, this year I have a plan! 

Here are some things I'll think about as I write out my goals:
  • What do I want to accomplish with my writing?
  • Where do I start?
  • What steps will I take?
  • What resources will I need? 
  • How long do I think it will take me?
Once I have a good grasp of what I need to do and how I will do it, I'll set up a timeline - due dates for each step toward a goal. 

I also plan to log my progress. I'll be keeping a journal of each goal and the progress I'm making.

So, let's review:
  1. Write out goals 
  2. Ask myself questions
  3. Break down goals into steps
  4. Make timeline with due dates
  5. Log progress in journal
Looks brilliant on paper! Let's see how I do. 

How about you? Are you setting goals for 2014?